Table of Contents Show
Hello from our Baldur’s Gate 3 Counting House Keys and Contents Guide. If you are looking for a complete guide to all November 23 keys, as well as the contents of the vaults and vaults, you are in the right place! This guide will help you!
This is the guide TrashQueen it was created by. You can find the author’s link at the end of the guide.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Counting House Keys and Contents Guide
Welcome to our Baldur’s Gate 3 Counting House Keys and Contents Guide. A complete guide to the locations of all 23 keys as well as contents of safes and vaults!
Key Types & Accessing Counting House
The Counting House in the Lower City has an ungodly amount of confusingly labelled keys, and finding them all naturally is a challenge. These keys can be used to unlock secure storage vaults and safes in the secure basement area of the Counting House.
There are three types of storage in the basement:
1. Safes (8 in total)
2. Vaults (6 in total)
3. High Security Vaults (9 in total)
Uktar, Nine-fingers’ guild bursar will offer a reward for finding and bringing all 9 High Security Vault keys to him in the Guildhall. Other than this, finding all of the keys is not necessary with a reasonable sleight of hand skill, but for those who want to try anyway, a complete list is below.
In order to access the Counting House secure area, you will need a temporary pass from Head Clerk Meadhoney, obtained by either dialogue options or pickpocketing.
Tracking Down Keys Without Spoilers
There are a number of books around the Counting House area which list who owns the contents of each safe or vault to give a clue as to where the keys might be. These include the books in front of the clerks, and one on a table to the right as you walk into the main hall.
Lockpick DC: 20
The room with the safes is at the bottom of the stairs as you enter the vault area on the right hand side, with the wrought iron walls.
- Safe keys generally use the “filigree gold key” image and have “an elaborately gilded key” in their description (as of patch 3)
- There is no door to get into the safe areas, but gaseous form (using the”fly” ability to move), or any teleport will work
- Safes 1-3, safe 4, safe 5, and safes 6-8 are each in their own walled-off area, so you will need to use multiple movement abilities to get all of them
- Safe 4 really is empty as the accounting ledger in the main hall suggests, so it’s not necessary to waste resource to get into that area unless you want the full completion.
- There are two chests in the room in addition to the safes with some potions and valuables – one as you come in, and one in the corner of the restricted area to the left as you enter, next to Safe no. 1
Safe Key Locations, Owners and Safe Contents
|Key No.||Owner||Owner Location||Key Location||Key Appearance||Storage Contents||Note|
|Counting House Safe No.1 key||D. W. Martin||–||Szaar Palace, Ballroom||Gold filigreed||Mid-tier loot chest||See Note 1 below|
|Counting House Safe No.2 key||Gorus Elgrin||–||Traded (not bartered) from Skittles the rat trader in Heapside Prison||Gold filigreed||A couple of +2 weapons||Either get arrested or enter from the sewers. Sewer entry does not turn guards hostile.|
|Counting House Safe No.3 key||The Bonecloaks (Derryth)||Bonecloak’s Apothecary||In a trapped chest in cellar of store, before the secret area||Gold filigreed||Gold, scrolls, and a pouch of minor alchemical loot||–|
|Counting House Safe No.4 key||Empty||–||Head Clerk Meadhoney, Counting House||Silver filigreed||Empty||“An elaborate key, plated with silver”|
|Counting House Safe No.5 key||Harvard Willoughby||Comedian in Elfsong Tavern||On Willoughby’s person||Gold filigreed||Higher-end loot chest, gold||–|
|Counting House Safe No.6 key||Anonymous||–||Backpack in secret basement area of Smuggler’s House||Gold filigreed||Two backpacks with various consumables||–|
|Counting House Safe No.7 key||Oliver Tefoco||Beehive General Goods||On Tefoco’s person||Gold filigreed||Crate with various camp clothes||–|
|Counting House Safe No.8 key||Ava Morlay||–||Mailbox outside the above-ground entrance to the Guildhall||Gold filigreed||Gold||–|
Note 1: Safe Key no.1 is in the opulent chest behind the secret panel on the left of the ballroom opposite the path to the office. Button to open the panel is in the tower room to the right of the ballroom by the stage.
Regular Vault Keys
Lockpick DC: 25
The room with the regular vaults is is at the bottom of the stairs as you enter the vault area on the left hand side, with the large arcane traps on the floor.
- Regular vault keys all use the “filigree gold key” image and have “an elaborately gilded key” in their description (as of patch 3)
- The traps will teleport you back out of the room if you run in, and can be disabled by hitting the buttons on each side of the room.
- They can be turned off by shooting or otherwise activating the buttons on either side of the room at the point where the two circles overlap (magic missile can help with lines of sight but it is very easily possible to position archers too)
Regular Vault Key Locations, Owners and Vault Contents
|Key No.||Owner||Owner Location||Key Location||Key Appearance||Storage Contents||Note|
|Counting House Vault No.1 key||Captain Grisly||Blushing Mermaid||On the real Captain Grisly||Gold filigreed||Chest with some gold and a diamond||The fake Captain Grisly does not have a copy of this key|
|Counting House Vault No.2 key||Oloric Witmirth||Elfsong Tavern||On Witmirth’s Person||Gold filigreed||Chest with gold and some scrolls||–|
|Counting House Vault No.3 key||Alan Alyth||Elfsong Tavern||On Alyth’s Person||Gold filigreed||6-8 bottles of 6-camp-supply wines||–|
|Counting House Vault No.4 key||Roger Highberry||Wine Festival||On Highberry’s Person||Gold filigreed||3 paintings and 95 gold||–|
|Counting House Vault No.5 key||Avery Sonshal||Felogyr’s Fireworks||On Sonshal’s Person||Gold filigreed||1220 gold, scroll of revivify, pouch with minor treasure||–|
|Counting House Vault No.6 key||Omotola||The Glitter Gala||On Omotola’s Person||Gold filigreed||Various mid-tier valuables||–|
High Security Vault Keys
Lockpick DC: 30
The room with high security vaults is beyond the lightning-powered code door. There is an unavoidable combat and some quest events which will need to be addressed before you can open the vaults.
- High Security Vault keys generally use the “filigree silver key” image.
- The key for High Security Vault no.1 is called “Heavy Iron Key” for some reason
- Using these keys to open vaults will not remove them from your inventory, so they can still be turned in to Utgar. Utgar will not react any differently to receiving keys even if you have already cleared out the relevant vault.
- Utgar will give you some gold for each High Security Vault Key you bring him, and a small bonus at the end for completing all 9, but this is not essential. Note that this seems to be bugged for a lot of people.
- High Security Vaults can also be openly lockpicked without the guards turning hostile, however, knock will not work on them.
- Previously, High Security Vault keys were labelled “Counting House Vault x Key” and regular vault keys were labelled “Counting House Vault No.x Key”, but this has been amended to be clearer following patch 3
High Security Vault Key Locations, Owners and Contents
|Key No.||Owner||Owner Location||Key Location||Key Description||Storage Contents||Note|
|Heavy Iron Key (for Vault 1)||Lorroakan||Razimuth’s Tower (Sorcerous Sundries)||On Lorroakan’s person||“Singe marks and arcanic residue decorate this elaborately gilded key.“||Nymph Cloak, Spell Savant Amulet, 260gp||Can be pickpicketed or looted|
|High Security Vault No.2 key||Lady Fireliia Jannath||Jannath Estate||On Jannath’s person||“The intricate filigree adorning this key is almost faded due to repeated and painstaking polish over several decades.“||Jannath’s Hat, smutty book, jewellery, 497gp||May not spawn in Jannath’s pickpocket inventory until after “Free the Artist” is resolved|
|High Security Vault No.3 key||Cazador Szaar||Szaar Palace||Cazador’s coffin, after the boss fight||“This silver key is cold to the touch, reminding of a long unattended gravestone in the dead of night.”||Long Arm of the Gur crossbow, 520gp, jewelleryt||–|
|High Security Vault No.4 key||Allundra Grey||Water Queen’s House||Chest in restricted upper floor of temple||“Flecks of salt stain and oceanic rust speckle this elaborately designed key“||Trident of the Waves, jewellery, 239gp||In the second upstairs room, across the bridge from the first, in the far corner by the bed|
|High Security Vault No.5 key||Duke Ulder Ravengard||Iron Throne||Safe in Gortash’s office||“A strong grip that has clasped this key close many a time has lightly rusted its silver plating.“||Ravengard’s Scourger mace, diary (for Wyll), 499gp||Behind a painting in the alcove to the left side of the throne as you face the throne. Either pass the perc check or remove the painting manually.|
|High Security Vault No.6 key||Enver Gortash||Gortash’s Office||Iron Throne||“The key’s owner seems to have adorned it with extra, superfluous filigree which wasn’t part of the original design.“||Parasite Specimen, Gortash quest/lore info, gold ingot, 221gp||In the second of the two side rumes with opulent chest in the branch of the Iron Throne which does not have prisoners in it.|
|High Security Vault No.7 key||Astele “Nine-fingers” Keene||Guildhall||On Nine-fingers’ person||“A weighty key that shows no signs of use – perhaps its owner has other ways of opening locks.“||Knock Knuckle Gloves, chest of children’s toys, 530gp||–|
|High Security Vault No.8 key||Viconia DeVir||House of Grief||Jewellery box in the bedroom/library alcove||“Clasping this key flips the pit of one’s stomach, filling it with a feeling of emptiness.”||Gems, jewellery, political lore information||–|
|High Security Vault No.9 key||Rakath Glitterbeard||Counting House High Security Vault area||On Glitterbeard’s person||“The blade of this key is well-worn by frequent turning in a heavy-duty lock.“||Elegant Studded Leather armour||Can be pickpocketed or recieved as reward for the quest “Return Rakath’s Gold”|
High Security Vault no.9 is positioned behind the very large safe door right at the back of the vault room, where the intruders will escape to with the bank funds before you can kill them. Rakath Glitterbeard has this key and will give it as a quest reward if you don’t want to pickpocket.