How to Get Rid of Bounty?
A bounty is the amount of money that’s paid to bounty hunters to gun you down. It’s not the same as Wanted level and the higher it is, the more likely you’re going to have bounty hunters come after you. You can die in a hail of bullets but while your Wanted level will be reset your bounty will still be there. Getting rid of your Wanted level is slightly different, and depends on just how ‘wanted’ you are.
If you’re Wanted but the Lawmen don’t know your identiy – so when the witness that reported the crime didn’t see you, for instance – then you can get rid of your Wanted level by simply staying out of the area marked in red that the Lawmen are investigating.
You’ll see the red word ‘Wanted’ gradually drain from red to grey in the top right of your screen, and when it fully drains you’re no longer Wanted.
Here’s how to get rid of it, provide you have enough cash. You can check your bounty amounts by moving your cursor over the map screen:
- Go the map and find the nearest town.
- Check the town isn’t locked down (the shop icons will be greyed out).
- If it is locked down due to your activities, wait or go to another town.
- Look for the envelope icon in that town. Click the cursor on it to set a route. Or, if you’re near your camp and have unlocked fast travel you can fast travel to the town.
- Go to the envelope icon, which is the post office. Be careful in town – get into trouble while you’re there and you’ll have to start all over again.
- Go to the man at the post office and press the interact button (typically the left trigger).
- Select the option to pay off your bounties.
- There are bounties for each region. Pay off the local region and then pay off as many as you can afford. You can do this from any post office.
- Head back out and try not to get into trouble.