The Legendary Elk is one of 16 legendary animals that can be hunted and skinned in RDR2. Skinning it will reward you with the Legendary Elk Pelt and Legendary Elk Antler. The Antler is used to craft the Elk Antler Trinket, which increases the value of looted money by 10%.
Legendary Elk Location
You can find the Legendary Elk in the woods due east of Bacchus Station, to the north-east of Fort Wallace, on the border of New Hanover and Ambarino.
How to Kill the Legendary Elk in Red Dead 2
To kill a Legendary Animal in Red Dead 2 you must hunt it carefully — Legendary Animals do not just appear, you must hunt/track them to stand a chance of killing them. Here are the full steps for how to hunt Legendary Animals in RDR2 and what to do if they don’t appear — or get away.
- Equip your most powerful weapons and ammo. A Shotgun with Slug Ammo purchased from a Fence is a great hunting accessory. You cannot damage Legendary Animal pelts so bring strong weapons and leave your bow behind.
- Ride to the area where the Legendary Animal should appear based on the map below. There’s another Legendary Animal nearby, but you’ll want to head to the wood east of Bacchus Station.
- A black box should pop up on the upper left corner of the screen indicating you’ve entered a Legendary Animal’s territory.
- Get off of your horse and move in slow, spiraling circles until a white question mark (?) appears on your map. This is the start of the hunting sequence.
- If you do not see the black box pop up or the white ?, leave the area and camp nearby. Return and the black box should appear and the animal should spawn. Note that some Legendary Animals will not appear until you’ve completed Master Hunter Challenges (One example of this is the Legendary Panther, see below).
- At the white ?, press the button indicated to investigate the droppings, fur, or damage the animal left. This reveals a path. Click the RIGHT STICK and LEFT STICK at the same time to enter Eagle Eye mode and see the path (R3/L3).
- Follow the path and, at the end of it (usually the path runs in a straight line from where you started, and it always ends within the white circle on the map) enter Eagle Eye again.
- Investigate the second of three animal evidence markers.
- Repeat the above steps to reveal a third evidence marker. At this point, listen for the animal and crouch.
- Move slowly towards the animal using the final path illuminated by your Eagle Eye.
- Replenish Dead Eye as needed, and target the animal’s head with a powerful weapon.
- Again, you cannot damage the pelt of a Legendary Animal so fire as many shots as you can. Animals like the Legendary Buck will run after taking damage, so you’ll need to shoot quickly, and with powerful ammo.
- Approach the Legendary Animal and skin it.
- If you let the animal get away, leave the area (go back to Camp) and sleep 72 hours.
How to Use and Sell Legendary Animal Parts
Now that you have a Legendary Animal Pelt and parts, you can exchange them for really cool rewards. Here’s where you can trade in Legendary Parts.
- The parts of a Legendary Animal like antlers and teeth can be used to make a very helpful perks called Talismans and Trinkets at the Fence. Just approach the Fence and choose BUY from his options to see Trinkets and Talismans. You won’t need to sell the items to him, just choose what you want.
- The Legendary Animal skins can be sold to a Trapper for money and to unlock cosmetic gear. Leave the skin on the horse and choose SELL from the Trapper’s options. After selling you unlock the unique gear.