First selected during the character creation process, Aptitudes are best described as a permanent aspect of your character that provide a small bonus towards a particular attribute.
Aptitudes can not be changed once you have assigned them to your character, so think long and hard before you confirm them!
Listed below are all 15 Aptitudes that are available for you to select.
“No Discernible Aptitude”
- “Colonist” sounded like a nice, entry-level career for a person of your skills. Expanding humanity’s reach by civilizing the cosmic frontier was ambitious enough without worrying about your day job. You had the rest of your life to decide how to be useful in Halcyon.
- +1 Determination Skill
Beverage Service Technician
- The Halcyon Colony needs good people, but it will settle for ones who can mix a memorable drink. As a human cocktail shaker, you’ve made concoctions that could end wars or fuel skip drives. You’re still trying to balance out the flavors of a truly signature Old Fashioned, though.
- +3% Drink Effect Duration
Bureaucrat, Rank 0
- The universe operates on laws, and laws require paperwork. Halcyon is no exception. If something isn’t stamped, filed, un-filed, referenced, redacted, certified, indexed, and numbered, then it might as well not exist. Birth certificates included.
- +1 Block Skill
Cashier, Sub-Grade, Non-Supervisory
- No transaction is finished without a smile. You live for the ka-chunk of a bit cartridge getting inserted right-side up, the redemption of loyalty points, and the promise of a good day. “Come back real soon, buh bye now!” are more than empty words – they’re a promise and a standard you intend on carrying to the frontier.
- +1 Persuade Skill
Construction, Electrician Class, Wire Spooler
- Contrary to popular belief, cable management is an art form. Something about hiding electrical wiring behind panels to maximize airflow just makes you sigh with relief. Colonists don’t need to worry about the bypasses and workarounds that keep the power flowing. That’s your burden to shoulder.
- -3% Shock Damage Received
Elevator Operations Specialist
- A proper lift goes up AND down. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn’t fit to wear the badge. Being a Specialist means something where you come from – a commitment to upward and downward mobility that doesn’t have a price tag.
- +1 Engineering Skill
Factory Worker, Conveyor Operator
- Safety and efficiency don’t always go hand in hand, which is why so many of your coworkers at the factory were amputees. You survived the trenches of the assembly line long enough to know when a hydraulic press just wants to pancake some fingers. Thankfully you managed to keep all of yours.
- +1 Dodge Skill
- You got into this business for the tubers, but you stayed for the ploughing, planting, pruning, and plucking. It isn’t honest work if you come home clean. Worms need dirt, and food needs worms. You’re just doing your part for the worms.
- -3% N-Ray Damage Received
Food Additive Tester
- Sometimes quality control means sampling a delicious boarst smoothie, but most of the time it means swallowing toxins until you find one that stays down. You love a good surprise. Now that your stomach lining has the consistency of a broken-in saddle, it’s easy to explore your culinary limits.
- +3% Food Effect Duration
Janitor, Sanitation Class
- You spend your evenings kneeling over ominous stains with a bottle of caustic solvent and an absorbent rag. How the blood got there is irrelevant, above your pay grade, and beneath your interest. You’re an artist of erasure. When you’re on the job, there’s no trace to be found.
- -3% Corrosive Damage Received
Tossball Team Mascot
- There isn’t a problem in all the cosmos that team spirit and a big stick couldn’t solve together. Your last major head injury in the field knocked some extra cheer into you, and you’ve been a rising star in tossball’s competitive mascot food chain ever since. It doesn’t matter that no one knows your face under the mask. You share glory with the team.
- +1 Inspiration Skill
Medical Technician, Junior Grade
- Prior to leaving Earth, you earned the trust of the medical community’s most esteemed junior surgeons, who entrusted you with stuffing cotton balls into pill bottles. Experience on the job made you realize that diagnosing illness doesn’t take a formal education when a search terminal and a little imagination will do the trick.
- +1 Medical Skill
- In your line of work, the corporation’s bottom line needs more protection than its personnel. Guardrails aren’t free, thermal shielding needs replacing, and a hatch that seals reliably is a luxury. You’re on the vanguard of ensuring that every possible expense is spared, since corners don’t cut themselves (yet). You prefer to think of workplace accidents as happy little coincidences.
- -3% Plasma Damage Received
Scientist Assistant, Level 0, Class A
- You’ve cleaned out enough test tubes to develop a keen instinct for what goes in them and why. Maybe you didn’t get in this business to mop up the leavings of failed experiments, but that’s just part of the job. Even if you can’t unsee what happens in the lab, you can at least learn from the mistakes and enjoy some colorful nightmares.
- +1 Science Skill
Sub Sous Chef
- The hierarchy of a modern kitchen is a ladder of many rungs. Your role as assistant to the second deputy chef’s aid is one of middling distinction, but you are honored to pour your heart into the ritual emptying of grease pans and the backbreaking labor of gravy restoration. You’re holding out for that advancement to poultry inspection, which is due any year now.
- +1 One-handed Melee